Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Roasted Vegetables - A Recipe Great for Dieters!

Veggies... how many of you like eating vegetables every day? I haven't been much of a veggie eater. There are few of them that I really like, and most that I do like aren't found on "diet" lists. :) Thus comes the challenge when trying a new weight loss/diet plan.

I've spent the past year on this new "eating plan", traditionally known as a diet. For me, it's a new way of living, a new way of eating. I have a list of vegetables that I can eat on a regular basis. Of course, it's not always easy to find ways to eat your veggies without overcooking them or just eating them raw all the time.

Well, my husband (the cook of the house) has come up with a couple ways to roast vegetables in the oven that is simply delicious! I ask for roasted veggies every night. My kids are kind of sick of them now, but I still love them.

Set your oven to 450 degrees. Spread out your vegetables (in our case, we usually do carrots or a combination of carrots and onions) on a 9 x 13 jelly roll pan. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the veggies. Stir briefly, if needed. Sprinkle with seasonings (I'll list a few of my favorites). Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring half way through. The carrots should look half wrinkled up with blackened edges to them. They should be tender to the touch, but not smooshy.

Season options include:
  • Dill weed (best when roasting just carrots)
  • Garlic powder (great on carrots or combination of veggies)
  • Sea salt & pepper (great when including red onions, or when also including potatoe wedges for your family)

Be creative with your vegetable choices. We tried zucchini and onions the other night. The zucchini cooked a little too much, so it would probably be better to start with only the onions in the oven, then add the zucchini 10 minutes later.

Enjoy! Bon appetit!

No comments: